Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)
Emergency Management Workforce Consortium
Texas Southern University
Location: Houston, Texas
School Size: 5,298 undergraduate students
Return to Resource Center >>
Texas State University for Negroes became Texas Southern University on June 1, 1951, after students petitioned the state government to remove the designation "for Negroes." There were 2300 students, two schools , one division, and one college when the university first opened in September 1947. The 63rd Legislature designated Texas Southern University as a "special purpose" university for urban programs in 1973. As a result, the College of Education, School of Public Affairs, School of Communications, and Weekend College were created. Texas Southern University has been embracing diversity since its inception. It now has bachelor, master, and doctoral degree programs in the following colleges and schools: Barbara Jordan-Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs, School of Communication, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business, and Thomas J. Watson College of Education. Special emphasis areas include the Center for Excellence in Urban Education (CEUE), Transportation Training and Research (CTTR), Family, and several special projects. Texas Southern University now employs around 1,000 faculty and staff.