Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)
Emergency Management Workforce Consortium
Savannah State University
Location: Savannah, Georgia
School Size: 4,645 undergraduate students
Return to Resource Center >>
The Second Morrill Land Grant Act of August 30, 1890, was instrumental in establishing Savannah State University. Due to the segregation of their systems, the legislation required southern and border states to develop land grant colleges for black students. The Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth was established on November 26, 1890, by a law enacted by the Georgia General Assembly. In 1891, the college operated in Athens for a few months before relocating to Savannah on October 7, 1891, with Wright serving as its first president. The college's name was changed to Georgia State College in 1932 when it became a full member of the University System of Georgia. Until 1947, the college was Georgia's land-grant university for black students. Fort Valley State College received the designation after that.) Savannah State College was founded in January 1950 and was renamed in January 1950. Savannah State College was upgraded to the rank of state university and given the name Savannah State University by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia in 1996 due to the expansion of its graduate and research programs.