Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU)
Emergency Management Workforce Consortium
Morgan State University
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
School Size: 6,270 undergraduate students
Return to Resource Center >>
The Baltimore Conference of Methodist Episcopal Church founded the Centenary Biblical Institute in 1867. Rector Reverend Lyttleton Morgan, the first chairman of the Board of Trustees, donated land to the College. Aims were later broadened to include both male and female teachers. Andrew Carnegie pledged $50,000 for the school's academic building in 1915. The College was required to buy a new property, pay off current debts, and build a building named after him. The College relocated to northeast Baltimore in 1917. When the College opened to the public, it was a well-rounded institution. As a public university, Morgan accepted students of all races. Until the mid-1960s, Morgan and the University of Maryland College Park were Maryland's only public comprehensive universities. Morgan, like other institutions, was incorporated into the state college system, which a Board of Trustees oversaw. Morgan was designated as a university by the State Legislature in 1975, allowing it to confer doctorates and reestablish its governing board. The Higher Education Commission of Maryland was reorganized and strengthened in 1988. The University of Maryland System welcomed the state college campuses. Morgan and St. Mary's College in Maryland are the only two colleges in Maryland that have their governing boards.